Manor Surveyors specialise in Party Wall awards. We are specialist Chartered Building Surveyors based in Cambridge providing Party Walls Advice throughout Cambridgeshire, London, Norwich, Hertfordshire, Essex and Suffolk.
Party Walls Advice
Does the Party Wall etc.
Act 1996 affect you?
DO YOU INTEND TO CARRY OUT WORK WHICH INVOLVES:
● Work on an existing wall, ceiling or floor structure shared with another property?
● Building on or at the boundary with another property?
● Excavating near a neighbouring building or structure?
WARNING! You must not commence notifiable works without serving an appropriate notice on the Adjoining Owner(s) – you may risk being served with an injunction to stop the works until such time you comply with your statutory duties under the Act.
If you have been served with a notice under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996, it means that your neighbour (the ‘Building Owner’), proposes to undertake works which within the Act.
Upon receiving a notice, you have 14 days to either ‘consent’ to the proposals or ‘dissent’ (with the exception of notices served under Section 1(5) where a formal response is not needed). If you fail to respond within 14 days, you have deemed to dissent.
Where dissent is communicated, a ‘dispute’ is deemed to have arisen under the Act requiring determination in accordance with Section 10 of the Act. This means the dispute must be resolved by way of a legally binding Party Wall Award.
This involves either both parties appointing a single Agreed
If you are proposing to undertake works that are deemed ‘notifiable’ under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996, you are required, by law, to serve prior notice upon your neighbour (the ‘Adjoining Owner’).
Notifiable works may include:
- Works to build a wall at or astride the boundary (known as ‘the line of junction’);
- Works to a Party Wall (including repairing, raising, lowering or cutting in to for any reason);
- Works to a Party Fence Wall (including repairing, demolishing and rebuilding as a Party Wall for enclosure);
- Adjacent Excavations – foundation excavations within 3 or 6 metres of a neighbouring property.
Notice must be served at least one month prior to the proposed commencement of works involving adjacent excavations or building at the line of junction and two months prior to commencement of works to a Party Wall or Party Fence Wall.
Get a Quote Today
Chartered Surveyors based in Cambridge
Manor Surveyors are members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
AREAS COVERED: LONDON | CAMBRIDGE | NORWICH | STEVENAGE | HERTFORD | ESSEX | SUFFOLK
Registered in England and Wales Company no. 09972439.
Copyright © 2016 Manor Surveyors - Chartered Building Surveyors. All Rights Reserved.
CONTACT US: Suite 56, Middle Court, Copley Hill Business Park, Cambridge Road, Babraham, Cambridge, CB22 3GN